Friday, January 8, 2010

Christmas on the Donkey Trail - by Sophie

Well, as you probably know we went on a family vacation to Cape Town, South Africa. I learned many things about being in a developed country but first of all, since it was Christmas, let me tell you my story of this Christmas that I had in Cape Town. We went on the Donkey Trail (pictures of the trail here) from the 22st-25th of December. 

I wasn't really that thrilled about missing everything that we usually do for Christmas and Christmas Eve! My mom said we wouldn't be getting very many presents this year, so I wasn't too happy about that either!

It was Christmas Eve now and i was thinking about what we would do if we were home; well, now we would be getting our Christmas pajamas and be setting out the cookies for Santa but here we are now, sitting by the fire.

As we went to our house for the night and said goodnight to to our friends the Huddles, I looked up and saw the stars. Now I don't really think about them very often i just think that they are very pretty. But they were more than that as I looked at them tonight, they were the stars that led the three wisemen to baby Jesus' manger!

It was late and it was time to go to bed. I lay awake wondering about everything. It seemed like this place we were staying was how I mangined where Jesus was really born. It felt like I was there and we had gone back in time! I gave up on thinking about all the presents and realizing that hey, it isn't about us, it is about him and his birthday tomarrow! We are just celebrating his birthday with him.

That Christmas day was extrodinary! Wow is all I can say! It didn't seem like Christmas at all! We didn't go to California like we always did and visit our relatives, that night, after getting off the Donkey Trail, we just had a dinner at a resturant and then that was it, we just went to bed.

I got over the fact that we didn't really get anything for Christmas but right now we were in Cape Town and I was with my family and that was all that mattered! I was safe and my family was too.

I think we all learned something, well, at least my brother and I did. I'm so lucky that I have experianced this Christmas. I think it will be the most memorable Christmas in my life! Now I know how the Grinch felt! It didn't matter about the presents or the food, the stockings or the pajamas; being with my family was the greatest gift that Jesus has given me!

2 comments:

Louanne said...

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing your heart.

BeckyB said...

Sophie,
I wanted to let you know how much I loved to read your post about Christmas. You are an amazing girl and it sounds like you're learning some once-in-a-lifetime things! I pray for your family every time I sneak a peak into your life in Africa on the blog. Thank you for letting us in on a bit of your life!
Becky Burns
(friends of your mom and dad in Portland OR)