Friday, January 8, 2010

Well, as you probably know we went on a family vacation to Cape Town, South
Africa. I learned many things about being in a developed country but first
of all, since it was Christmas, let me tell you my story of this Christmas
that I had in Cape Town. We went on the Donkey Trail (pictures of the trail
here) from the 22st-25th of December. I wasn't really that
thrilled about missing everything that we usually do for Christmas and
Christmas Eve! My mom said we wouldn't be getting very much presents and
this year, so I wasn't to happy about that either! It was Christmas Eve now
and i was thinking about what we would do if we were home; well, now we would
be getting our Christmas pajamas and be setting out the cookies for Santa but
here we are now, sitting by the fire. As we went to our house for the night
and said goodnight to to our friends the Huddles, I looked up and saw the
stars. Now I don't really think about them very often i just think that
they are very pretty. But they were more than that as I looked at them tonight, they were the stars that
led the three wisemen to baby Jesus' manger! It was late and it was time to
go to bed. I lay awake wondering about everything. It seemed like this
place we were staying was how I imangined where Jesus was really born. It felt like I was there and we had gone
back in time! I gave up on thinking about all the presents and realizing that
hey, it isn't about us it is about him and his birthday tomarrow! we are just celebrating
his birthday with him. That Christmas day was extrodinary! Wow is all i can
say! It didn't seem like Christmas at all! We didn't go to California like
we always did and visit our relatives, we just had a dinner at a resturant
and then that was it, we just went to bed. I got over the fact that we
didn't really get anything for Christmas but right now we were in Cape Town and I was with
my family and that was all that mattered! I was safe andy family was too. I think we all learned something, well, at least my brother and I but i'm so
lucky that I have experianced this Christmas. I think it will be the most
memerable Christmas in my life! Now I know how the Grinch felt! It didn't
matter about the presents or the food, the stockings or the pajamas; being
with my family was the greatest gift that Jesus has given me!

No comments: