Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My First Gross Bug Living Inside!

This past Sunday, I was sitting on the couch and looked down at the back of my calf (which I rarely, IF EVER do) ... and there was this black circle with a hole in it! Where did it come from? What is it????

We have an ex-Peace Corps friend who thought it might be either a putsi fly or a bot fly. One of them lays larvae in damp clothes then burrows into your skin - and you have to wait until the worm thing comes out. The only way to prevent this is to either put your clothes in the dryer or iron your clothes. That must be why we have a housekeeper who irons ALL our clothes: to keep the bugs off!

The other one has larvae that is carried on the backs on a mosquito or fly - then lands on you, finds another warm, wet place - and burrows into your skin.

Of course, I'm not sure that it's either of those things, but I find it hard to believe that my skin would suddenly turn black - and have a crater in it!! There's only a little bit of a bump - but I don't even remember there being a bite or anything. Freaky! But curiously interesting....

Either way, the worms will have to come out - and there's puss involved - and a squirmy head (with teeth!)trying to get out of my skin ....

Any arm chair doctors or hypochondriacs who want to offer up their opinions?


My leg with the spot...

A close up of the crater in the middle of the black spot. If it changes throughouot the week, I'll take more photos and post them!

5 comments:

lk said...

I would say bedbug bite infected. I would also say look out for a staff infection they kill real fast.

Doubt it's the egg laying things. They usually can't tell until it's growing and you can feel them feeding as they get bigger. They remove the larvae when they are large enough and usually miss at least one. They prefer those to hatch and fly away, but the doctor can remove them, but will probably miss at least one......

Unknown said...

do you still have this? i have 4. they come 1 by 1 every few years. i have a friend with the same. i cant figure it out. ever had chemo or radiation treatment? that is a common factor with my friend and i.

Unknown said...

I have found one on my leg. Did you ever figure out what it was

Unknown said...

I have found one on my leg. Did you ever figure out what it was

Unknown said...

I have found one on my leg. Did you ever figure out what it was