Tuesday, March 23, 2010

One of our caregivers speaks about his experience


Jackson with some of his clients





Jackson Zondwe is a caregiver with our program and was selected to speak on behalf of the 20,000 caregivers around Zambia. His life has been transformed as a result of being a caregiver. Following is his speech that he gave to our national caregiver appreciation day:



My name is Zondwe Jackson from the RAPIDS consortium. I am greatly humbled today to be given this rare occasion of presenting g this speech on behalf of all the dedicated caregivers across this great country Zambia.


I started working as a caregiver in 2004. Since then, I have been trained in many skills as a caregiver, among them is to stand in the gap for my clients. I am always there for my clients who have no one to encourage them in life because of their status and for those clients who cannot get to the clinic for their appointments. I am also there to counsel those who are not adhering to treatment and care and help households discuss behavior change and prevention of HIV/AIDS.


As a caregiver, I counsel my clients in all situations and they in turn make informed decisions in their lives. Supporting my clients has helped me personally. This work has made a big difference in my life.

Before I started caregiving, I was a drunkard and used to abuse alcohol in the real sense and as a result I engaged in risky behavior. But, one day, after a routine visit to one of my clients, he told me he was drunk the day before and this made him forget to take his drugs. I encouraged him to stop drinking alcohol and then, my client stopped drinking beer and became adherent to his treatment. But one day, without expecting him, he found me drinking a pack of shake shake beer. To be honest with you people, I was so much ashamed before him.
I learnt my lesson. Now what I tell my clients is that what I also do. I lead a happy life -- even my marriage is now happy. I have a happy family again because of a changed life through being a caregiver.

Being a caregiver is not only caring for others but it has also taught me to care for myself and my family. Now I am faithful to my wife and share this prevention message with others: ONLY THROUGH PREVENTION CAN WE STOP HIV/AIDS.

Many lives of my clients have been changed through this work of being a caregiver. There are people in the community who totally refused to do an HIV test but after having counseling sessions with them, they have agreed to the test and are in HIV care and treatment. Now, they are back being employed, providing for their families and heading happy families that were nearly torn apart during their illness. These are the people who are in the forefront advocating against stigma and discrimination and preaching prevention of the spread of HIV/AIDS.


I would like to thank RAPIDS, USAID and the Zambian government for recognizing our efforts and our role as caregivers in fighting HIV/AIDS.


I will end by saying ONLY THROUGH PREVENTION CAN WE STOP HIV/AIDS.


Thank you.

No comments: