Friday, March 19, 2010

Our Future

Amazingly, we've already been in Zambia almost 19 months - with only five months left on my contract. Even here in the southern hemisphere, time still flies quickly!

As I write this, I am watching Viriginia our housekeeper sweep the leaves off the grass with her reed broom...no power leaf blower, just sweeping bent over, the old-fashioned way. Life is simpler here without the distractions of life in a developed world. I'll comment on this in another blog...

I'm working on figuring out my job situation and our future. We'd all like to stay in Zambia, but funding will be an issue - it's not cheap to have an ex-pat living overseas. So, the first order of business is to determine whether WV will continue to fund my position. Then, we have to wait until late May to see if we get awarded the grant from USAID.

If neither of those options work out then I'll seek out a job at WV (back in Federal Way). One of the stipulations of taking this job in Zambia was that there would be no guarantee that I would get a job back at WV (I gladly accepted the risk), but it means I could be joining the ranks of the unemployed!

We're praying that we can stay... Please join us in praying that decision makers would agree to funding my position.

Either we'll be back in Tacoma this summer for good...or we'll be back for a short summer holiday and come back to Zambia again. We look forward to seeing you!

No comments: